Marketing Director, US and Emerging Markets
About This Role
Strava is the leading social platform for athletes and the largest sports community in the world, with over 100 million athletes in 195 countries. If you sweat you’re an athlete, and Strava’s mobile apps and website connect millions of active people every day!
We are looking for a Director to lead growth in the US and Emerging Markets (Brazil and Japan), reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer. This marketing leadership role will be critical in step changing the awareness and growth trajectory of the Strava brand in these markets and will serve on the Marketing Leadership Team. The aim of this role is to drive new registrations, increase monthly active user engagement on Strava and drive subscription revenue via the paid Strava product in each market that the director oversees. This role will lead an established team in the execution of through the line Marketing Campaigns across top of funnel brand initiatives, mid funnel engagement initiatives and bottom funnel conversion and retention initiatives for the US, Brazil and Japan markets.
The Director of US and Emerging Markets Growth will lead individual country marketing teams across the US, Brazil and Japan with high collaboration and coordination across centralized Product Marketing, Digital Marketing and CRM teams. This role will also partner strongly with their counterpart in the European region, who oversees UK, France, Spain and Benelux regional growth. Strava is committed to anti-racism, diversity, equity, and inclusion in sport and expanding our community with underrepresented groups, women and under 25 year old consumers. This role will be essential in identifying how to be more relevant and grow our community with these audiences in the US, Brazil and Japan.
You will work cross-functionally with leads across Global Brand Marketing & Strategy, Product Marketing, Global Communications and Strava Business to build brand awareness, consideration and revenue across the three markets. As a Global leader, you connect personally with Strava’s mission, and have an aim to deepen Strava’s connection with current audiences while expanding the brand to new audiences. You are passionate about contributing to the greater health and success of your team and cross-functional partners while cultivating a culture of dedication, fun and accountability.
For more information on compensation and benefits, please click here.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
Drive Awareness, New User Growth and Relevance of the brand in the US, Brazil and Japan
- Build awareness for the Strava Brand in the US, Brazil and Japan, creating a groundswell of word of mouth for the brand across social and earned channels. You get excited about leveraging Strava’s current engaged user base to drive talkability and evangelism for the brand in each of these markets.
- Catapult the Strava brand into cultural conversations to help us break out and drive relevance beyond our core sports of running and cycling.
- Build community and new user growth from the ground up with core audiences in each market and get into the details while doing it. You are motivated by being hands-on in the work; you have the experience to take something small and scale it quickly.
- Lead the country marketing and cross functional teams to activate global campaigns on the local level and develop locally relevant campaigns including paid performance and social marketing campaigns.
Own Community and Revenue Growth in each market
- Drive Monthly Active User Growth across all three markets, with a mix of upper funnel and lower funnel initiatives to drive new user growth, engagement with current users and compress frequency.
- Develop regional and country specific revenue and critical metric plans and support ongoing forecasting in partnership with Revenue, Partnership, and Finance teams
- Understand customer, industry, and competitor trends/behaviors in the region. Discover areas of focus across geography, athlete segments, and our subscription lifecycle and continually optimize focus to advise subscription marketing and drive subscription revenue
- Understand sources of variance and create plans to address
- Help develop, test, and roll out country specific subscription pricing and promotions
- Provide strategic inputs and in partnership with Product Marketing, develop country specific subscription marketing plan(s) across subscription conversion funnel / subscriber lifecycle to meet subscription revenue targets per country.
Provide coordinated leadership across Brand, Community Marketing, Communications, Product Marketing, CRM and Partnerships in the US and Emerging Markets
- Collaborate with our Brand, Community Marketing, Communications and PMM/CRM teams to develop overall strategies and plans for marketing in each market to drive awareness, engagement and subscribers.
- Partner with our Partnerships team to develop strategies and tactics to drive subscription consideration, subscription value and sales/distribution through partners in the US, Brazil and Japan, and grow partner revenue over all.
- Articulate regional / country strategies and results to other Strava teams, management and Board.
- Live the values of the Strava Brand. As a key leader not only on the marketing team, but across the organization, you will live the values of the brand in the way that you lead direct and indirect reports in the growth of the brand and business in your assigned markets. You will lead with authenticity, compassion and create an inclusive environment for all.
Help evolve our regional growth strategy across other markets
- Test and iterate on our strategies to clearly develop findings that Strava can apply in other markets
- Synthesize results and takeaways while partnering with management, Marketing and other regional teams to help to develop and optimize our growth strategy.
We’re excited about you because you:
- Have 10+ years or equivalent experience in subscription marketing, growth marketing or general management in a digital consumer business across multiple growth markets.
- Have experience scaling a brand in a crowded and competitive environment in the US .
- Have a track record of helping drive topline growth
- Comfortable operating without a playbook and are able to lead a culture of creativity, risk-taking, experimentation and learning.
- Have experience setting up strategy and action plans with strong measurement frameworks.
- Have a consistent track record of leading and implementing growth projects independently and getting things done in a cross-functional organization.
- Adept at collaboration and extraordinarily communicative in a fast-paced environment where collaboration and understanding people is required. You have enthusiasm for making colleagues successful throughout the company.
- Have the ability to influence internal partners in a remote work environment
- Have a Bachelor’s Degree in a related subject area. Advanced Degree highly desirable.
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a premier, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a fully remote capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our conscientious leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Your application has been successfully submitted.